We care deeply about sustainability, experiential learning, and study abroad.
As a part of that we’ve been writing about and sharing what we know. This page pulls together resources about ISDSI, including films, papers and media coverage.
A good way to get familiar with ISDSI is to go through our website, read about our courses and programs, and check out any attached PDFs of syllabi and course materials.
Articles we’ve written
- Program Summary (PDF). A one page summary of our Sustainable Development Studies semester program.
- Community Based Education in Thailand, in EarthEd (State of the World): Rethinking Education on a Changing Planet, Worldwatch Institute, 2017
- Sustainability Education, Experiential Learning, and Social Justice: Designing Community Based Courses in the Global South, Journal of Sustainability Education, May 2013
- Theory and Pracitice of Experiential Learning and Sustainability, (PDF) April, 2011. This paper describes our approach to education and program design.
- The Objective Hazards of Culture: Risk Management in International Settings, Proceedings of the Wilderness Risk Management Conference, 2004
- Risk Management in Study Abroad: Lessons from the Wilderness, Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Study Abroad, Fall, 2003
- Our Voices from the Village documentary film project.
- Ecological Weaving: Karen tribal women tell how they are able to keep their culture alive through traditional weaving.
- A Sustainable Life: Pi Aun tells his story of leaving the city to return to his home village to grow organic vegetables.
- Mangroves and the Ocean: Ma Te explains how she cares for the mangroves, and how things have changed for her community with climate change and plastic pollution in the ocean.
- Elephant Conservation and Ethical Tourism: Pi Pat explains his approach to saving the Asian elephant, and some of the problems around so called “ethical” tourism.
- Elephant Health Care: Dr. Tip talks about being an elephant veterinarian, and how she uses both traditional herbal medicine and modern medicine to care for the elephants she loves.
Media coverage: What others have been writing about us and our projects
- A Very Unique Thai University! Built from Shipping Containers, Splash Magazine, December 3, 2020
- En Thaïlande, une université a été entièrement construite avec des conteneurs, Le Figaro Etudiant, October 10, 2018
- Shipping Containers Leading New Thoughts on Architectural Design, Analog, October 10, 2018
- En Thaïlande, cette université a été construite avec des conteneurs d’expédition recyclés, Creapills, October 8, 2018
- Shipping Container School in Thailand Teaches Sustainable Construction, Chiang Rai Times, October 4, 2018
- Shipping container building hosts students studying sustainable development in Thailand, Curbed, October 3, 2018
- This Thai university used 17 shipping containers to build its new campus, World Economic Forum, October 2, 2018 and here is their Video
- This beautiful college campus in Thailand built with 17 Shipping Containers is one of the best examples of sustainable architecture, Medium, September 30, 2018
- Shipping container-based campus leaves nothing to waste, New Atlas, September 27, 2018
- A Sustainable Campus is Built from 22 Recycled Shipping Containers, Inhabitat, September 20, 2018
- 6 of the World’s Quirkiest Co-Working Spaces, Inc. Magazine, April, 2018. Features a description of our coworking space.
- Responsible Travel in Thailand: Social Enterprises in Chiang Mai You Should Visit. Mad Monkey Hostels, June 2018. Features a description of our cafe, Rx Cafe Chiang Mai.
- Best Coworking Spaces in Chiang Mai. Mad Monkey Hostels, June 2018. Features a description of our coworking space.
- Creating Sustainable Education Abroad Programs in Nontraditional Locations, International Educator, July + August, 2014
- Farm to Table in Mae Taa, Thailand, Nom Nom Paleo Blog, 2013. A visit to one of our partner field sites with our friend and cookbook author Michelle Tam.
- Using institutional arrangements to teach undergraduates about commons in Thailand, and beyond, L. Yoder and A. Bicksler, International Journal of the Commons, 2012
- Study Abroad Opportunity in Thailand, Patagonia: The Cleanest Line, 2007
- Investigating Conditions for Transfer of Learning in an Outdoor Experiential Study Abroad Course, M.A. Thesis, M. Anderson, Linköping University (Sweden) 2006
- Learning Both Ways, Bangkok Post, December, 1999 (PDF)
- Wikipedia: International Sustainable Development Studies Institute
Media resources: If you’re writing about us
We welcome articles about what we’re doing with our programs and sustainability initiatives! A great place to start is to watch this short video of students talking about the program: Why You Should Study Abroad with ISDSI in Thailand.
Who we are: ISDSI is an educational institute that teaches study abroad programs for American university students and others studying sustainable development and related topics.
Please email us with questions at [email protected] anytime, and once you’ve published please email us a link so we can feature you on this page!
If you’re writing about us and need photos, please email us at [email protected] so we can work with you to source the photos you need at the appropriate size and resolution.
Social media resources