ISDSI is an academically challenging experiential learning program based in Chiang Mai for American university students. We work with local communities to develop hands-on courses focused on sustainability, and spend a significant amount of time in the villages, mountains and islands of thailand.
We are looking to recruit several highly experienced and qualified field instructors.
ISDSI programs are university courses for credit, and blend together challenging academic study with outdoor experiential learning. Field Instructors at ISDSI are facilitators of this learning experience with students, helping students to learn about the development, ecology, and cultures of Thailand, while connecting deeply with local communities.
- Thai national or dual Thai national
- University graduate, preferably in a field related to ecology, environment, social sciences, cross-cultural learning, or similar. Other majors are considered based on experience. Masters degree a plus.
- 3-5 years of experience in development, education, guiding, or significant cross-cultural experience.
- Fluent speaking, reading/writing both English and Thai. Fluency in Sgaw Karen a plus.
- International school or international education experience preferred.
- Experience with travel into remote villages and areas of Thailand, respect for local cultures, and a willingness to live with and learn from local people without imposing your own preferences.
- High tolerance for ambiguity, adversity, and uncertainty, and good judgement in difficult situations.
- Preferred training in First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, Leadership, etc.
- Should be skilled with computers and software.
- Skills preferred include hiking, swimming, kayaking, etc. Because we run water-based courses in the islands, the applicant should be able to swim and be comfortable in water and around boats.
- Field instructor for courses during the semester facilitating student academic learning inside and outside the classroom, collaborating with professors and local leaders in the field
- Facilitate student cross-cultural adjustment and engagement
- Translate in the field as needed with students, community members, and others
- Prepare and plan course academics, schedules, transportation, budgets, and other course details and logistics
- Assist with grading course requirements for students, both written essays and oral presentations
- Organize and manage essential materials for field course learning, i.e. expedition gear, medical supplies, course books and readings, etc.
- Care for student medical needs while on field courses
- Oversee and create a positive learning environment for student group on field courses and at ISDSI
- Set an example for students in endurance and in the acceptance of physical challenges
- Compensation based on experience and highest degree earned
- Health insurance, social security, and a provident fund are included
- Professional training provided for job specific skills, including risk management, wilderness medicine, etc.
- Initial contract for one semester. A successful candidate can expect to work multiple 4 week courses per semester / year
Interested people should email us at [email protected] explaining why you are interested in becoming a field instructor.
- Please include your CV with relevant experience and skills.
- Two references are required.
- Please also look at our courses at isdsi.org, and tell us which specific courses you are interested in and why.
- Finally, please tell us what you think the biggest challenges are for sustainable development in Thailand, and what you think can be done about it.