Essential Eligibility Criteria
All students are required to be able to manage the following aspects of their own participation in the program. This is important both so that students know what is expected of them, and also know if they are struggling to meet any of these criteria during the program to seek help.
- You must be able to manage all necessary self-care, including maintaining adequate nutrition and hydration, dressing appropriately for environmental conditions, and maintaining personal hygiene.
- You must be able to tolerate and function effectively in an environment where you may not speak the language or where you are not culturally competent.
- You must need be able to tolerate significant levels of ambivalence and ambiguity that naturally occurs when one encounters a different culture than one’s own especially if you did not grow up speaking the local language
- You must be able to tolerate and function effectively in conditions that are of a standard potentially different from that to which you are accustomed including different standards of: diet, accommodations, communications, and sanitation
- You must be able to tolerate and function effectively in an environment that may have predominating cultural constructs that may be very different from your own in regards to: communications, time, and personal space
- You must be able to tolerate, function effectively and behave in a respectful manner in an environment that may have predominating cultural values and views that are very different from your own in areas that may include: gender roles, sexual identity, religion, individualism, and politics
- You must be able to tolerate and function effectively in an environment, which may potentially include warmer or colder temperatures, dust, tropical sun, air pollution, and insects.
Day to Day Living, Travel and Accommodations
- You must be able to navigate and travel independently to and from program destination.
- You must be able to navigate and travel independently within the program country utilizing primarily public transportation.
- You must be able to manage your own banking and finances.
- If living in a group apartment, you may need to be able to shop for food, cook, keep the premises tidy, etc.
- If you experience illness, you may need to access healthcare.
- You must be responsible for all your belongings.
Health, Safety and Security
- You must be able to understand and apply all provided health, safety and security information and directives.
- You must comply with all program policies related to health, safety and security.
- You must be responsible for your own behavior.
- You must maintain a reasonable level of situational awareness appropriate to circumstances.