Interested in learning about opportunities for you or your students at ISDSI? We run direct enroll semesters, host semester programs, and facilitate faculty-led programs. To learn more join us in Chiang Mai for one of our site visits!
Our site visits are appropriate for faculty and administrators working in study abroad. A site visit is the best way to learn about our innovative approach to community based experiential learning and the opportunities for students and faculty with ISDSI.
We have have two options for visiting ISDSI for faculty and administrators:
- We have an annual site visit that brings together faculty and study abroad administrators to learn together about ISDSI, Northern Thailand, and opportunities for students, faculty and others. The annual site visit for 2023 is June 22-26.
- We also offer an individual site visit that can be scheduled at any time throughout the year. If you can’t make the annual site visit this is a great opportunity, and can also be paired with your own research or exploration of Thailand.
To learn more read below, or email us at [email protected].
Annual Site Visit
A case study of ISDSI’s innovative Culture, Ecology and Community Program, our 5 day site visits dive deep into curriculum design, cultural learning, risk management, and how we keep academic quality high while engaging with local communities. Using the principle of “having the villager be the teacher” (ให้ชาวบ้านเป็นครู), participants will take part in experiential learning activities, including discussions with local community members and colleagues.
In addition to field studies, there will be ample time to explore the sights and tastes of the ancient city of Chiang Mai, get to know new colleagues from other colleges and universities, and enjoy time on your own to process and reflect.
- Field Study: Chiang Mai markets and temples
- Intro to ISDSI and campus tour
- Thai culture and language orientation
- Introduction to our approach to experiential learning
- Introduction to sustainable agriculture, community based learning, and fair trade principles
- Field Study: Siamaya Chocolate Company (local artisanal Thai chocolate company)
- Field Study: Upland Coffee Village study
- Field Study: Mae Taa Sustainable Farming Community
- Meeting with organic farming community leaders
- Farm to table activity and host family visits in the village
- Field Study: Elephant conservation
- Free time / meetings with ISDSI staff
- Sunday Walking Street Market
- Risk management and experiential learning discussion
- Student support and working with ISDSI
- Farewell Dinner
Some of the Opportunities at ISDSI
At ISDSI we run several types of programs, and if one of these options sounds interesting to you, please get in touch and let us know.
- Direct enroll semester: Our flagship program — Culture, Ecology, and Community — is a program that students at any institution can enroll in for a semester. If you are interested in this opportunity for your students, let us know and we can help with program approval and enrollment.
- Direct enroll summer program: We run a direct enroll 4 week program every summer — Agroecology and Entrepreneurship. If you are interested in this program for your students, please get in touch and we will help you with the approval process.
- Faculty led short-term programs: We are available to help you design and run short-term faculty led programs for both summer and January term. We have experience in designing academically challenging experiential programs, as well as planning logistics, risk management, and field studies. Contact us if you are considering a program in Thailand.
- Hosted semester programs: We also run a limited number of semester long programs for colleges and universities in the United States. If you are interested in seeing how this might work for your institution, please let us know.
- Support for faculty research and sabbaticals: We have worked with faculty and researchers to facilitate field research, sabbatical stays, and other opportunities in Thailand. If you’re considering spending time in Thailand, let us know and we can help you figure out the best options for you, either with ISDSI or another institution in Thailand.