Interested in learning about our Sustainable Development Studies Program and other opportunities at ISDSI? Join us in Chiang Mai for one of our site visits!
Our site visits are appropriate for faculty working in the US and abroad, as well as administrators and staff working in study abroad. They are the best way to learn about our innovative approach to community based experiential learning and what it’s like for students to study abroad in Thailand on our programs.
Focused on ISDSI’s innovative “Sustainable Development Studies: Thailand” program, our 5 day site visits dive deep into curriculum design, cultural learning, risk management, and how we keep academic quality high while engaging with local communities. Using the principle of “having the villager be the teacher” (ให้ชาวบ้านเป็นครู), participants will take part in experiential learning activities, including discussions with local community members and colleagues.
In addition to field studies, there will be ample time to explore the sights and tastes of the ancient city of Chiang Mai, get to know new colleagues from other colleges and universities, and enjoy time on your own to process and reflect.
- Field Study: Chiang Mai tour
- Intro to ISDSI and campus tour
- Thai culture and language orientation
- Intro to experiential learning
- Intro to sustainable agriculture and fair trade
- Field Study: Siamaya Chocolate Company (local artisanal Thai chocolate company)
- Field Study: Mae Sa Mai village (local coffee growers)
- All Day Field Study: Mae Taa Sustainable Farming Community
- Meeting with organic farming community leaders
- Farm to table activity and host family visits in the village
- Field Study: Elephant conservation
- Free time / meetings with ISDSI staff
- Sunday Walking Street Market
- Risk management and experiential learning discussion
- Student support and working with ISDSI
- Farewell Dinner